Sofrito is a flavoring base that is used in various Latin American cuisines. There are many regional varieties; this is a general recipe.
- 2Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1large yellow onion, small dice
- 1quart grape tomatoes, ripe
- 6cloves garlic, minced
- 1tsp. paprika
- 1/2tsp. salt (to taste)
- 1/2tsp. black or white pepper (to taste)
Keeps in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Also, you can freeze the sofrito in ice cube trays; pop out and add to dishes for a quick burst of flavor!
Extra Easy Sofrito:
- Combine all ingredients in Pyrex dish with lid.
- Bake covered for 1 hour. Stir occasionally (every 10-15 minutes or so).
- Remove lid, and bake ½ hour more (or until all ingredients are soft, caramelized, and liquid has reduced until it is almost gone).