A simple but hearty and smoky side dish that pairs well with pork.
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal, coarse
- 3each chipotles, canned
- 1 medium onion, yellow, small dice
- 1Tbsp. olive oil, extra virgin
- 2cloves garlic, small dice
- 1quart water
- 2 1/2cups whole milk
- 1tsp Kosher salt
- 1Tbsp. butter, unsalted
- 1can (14 oz.) white hominy,
You can omit both the cheese and hominy, if desired. You can also substitute roasted peppers, cheddar jack cheese, or frozen / canned corn if you prefer.
For a creamier polenta, use half coarse, half fine corn meal.
Also, if you spread the hot polenta evenly onto a greased Pyrex pan or cookie sheet, and chill overnight, you can cut into squares and fry.